Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Valentine's Day

CLICK HERE: TODAY'S PHOTO ALBUM

Before I begin today's recap, I'm going to add a few things that I had left out either because I didn't remember or I was just too tired. The first, going all the way back to Aberdare.  For fans of the Crown, the Aberdare Country Club was one of Queen Elizabeth's favorite spots both as a princess and a queen. The other point of interest I forgot to mention, for you movie buffs,  was that Lake Nakuru National Park was the filming location of much of film Out of Africa.

Ok getting back to today. Slept great last night which was good.  Today was a very long drive. We left at 7am. Spotting the usual suspects as we drove around the reserve.  The Masai Mara is much greener than our previous Kenyan locations.   The panoramas are wonderful and the dust is kept to a minimum because of the vegetation.  



Came upon a pride of lions taking their afternoon nap. Lions sleep approximately 16 hours a day.  From the lions it was off to the hippos and crockodiles. We made a pit stop at the park's airport.  The Masai were there selling their wares but I have to say they did not attack. I was looking to buy one of the colorful Masai blankets but Juma had already bought one for us while we were there.

It was on to the Mara River.  Took a short guided walk around the river and watched the big beasts wade about. Before lunch,  Juma took us down to the border of Tanzania and Kenya.  Next, we looked for an unoccupied tree to have lunch.  After our picnic, we had started back along the river and over some rough terrain when Juma made a u-turn and high tail it  back.  Turns out the word was out about a two male lions sighting.  Somewhere along the way, we were entertained by a couple of "two-story" mongoose!

Back at the shack by around 4pm and were greeted with a lovely Valentine's message.  Thank you
Alex.  Got to the bar just before the night's outdoor bbq.  Dinner was at the pool with a Masai show which we all participated in --what a hoot!.  We enjoyed our Valentine's cake and wine. After dinner, I noticed the chef was starting to dance,  That was my cue. I was up and dancing and then everyone was joining in.  A good time was had by all! A Valentine's night we will remember for a long time to come,

Back at our tent. Have to say good night now. 







Next time... The Serengeti



3 comments:

  1. I've been following but, despite multiple browsers, sign-ins and hints, it won't let me be anything but Anonymous. So - Johndavid and I are wowed by your photos!! Looks like another amazing trip, probably the most amazing!! As soon as I read that there was a dance performance I already knew you continued the dance part, there's no stopping you! Happy Valentine's Day from Cape Cod ❤️❤️ Any posts by Anonymous will likely be me from here on xoxp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo of Dad wearing the Masai garment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting sign in fatigue, but these photos are worth it! It's actually warming me up a bit. It's 2 now.

    ReplyDelete